The list in November is full with fall cleanup, planting and tucking the flowers in for winter. All of it is important for healthy flowers next season. We have less daylight hours to get it done, and we’re always trying to stay one step ahead of the weather. Order of importance seems to be the theme this time of year as inevitably some things we’d like to see done will need to be put off until spring.
We were extremely blessed with our dahlia tuber harvest. I was so afraid we would lose them this year. With the gorgeous weather, our plants didn’t die back until very late. The first frost hard enough to kill back the foliage came October 28th. If the tubers don’t cure long enough after a hard frost, or if they freeze in the ground, they will rot. Mother Nature blessed us with a window of perfect weather to get them out! I cut all the foliage back and hauled it off the previous week, then I started digging the tubers the week of November 13th. The weather was incredible! They all get washed out in the field and I end up wet and quite muddy in the process. This year it was as comfortable work as it could possibly be! Without a moment to spare, they are all tucked away in the cooler, with a small space heater, waiting to be labeled and divided.
The peonies in the field all got weeded out and cut back. Compost was added where needed. I still have a few beauties by the flower shed to go. I sure look forward to their lovely, scented blooms beginning in mid-May!
The sunflower field was a huge mess and got severely gutted, tilled and a cover crop of wheat and oats planted.
The old lisianthus beds are almost ready for next year. The hoops, stakes and plastic are put away, the ground tilled, and now it’s just waiting for a nice layer of compost. The new lisianthus area is also cleaned up and almost ready for next spring. I like to get the lisianthus in the ground mid-April, so having the beds ready in the fall is a big help.
A new area for flowering shrubs is in the works. It’s cleared out and tilled. I dropped a few trees to let more light in and that still needs to be cleaned up. The new shrubs come the first week of December and the hope is to get as many planted out as possible and pot the rest up for spring planting. We might be chipping through a layer of frozen ground.
3300 new bulbs got planted and they still need a layer or two of mulch now that the ground is thinking about freezing. The brodiaea needs hoops and frost cover to try and winter it over.
Half of the baptisia is weeded out and cut back. This is a lovely lupine-like flower that blooms at the same time as the peonies and looks gorgeous alongside them in a vase.
We added to the to-do list by having some trees around the storage shed and garage dropped. We hired an expert to climb the trees and take them down piece by piece as they were dangerously close to the buildings. The brush needed to be cleared away quickly so we could get to the buildings. The rest will have to wait until later this winter.
November isn’t over yet, but the list is still long. Today I need to get the heated waterers to the ducks and chickens, trim the horses’ feet, tidy up the cellar to make room for the dahlia tubers and finish winterizing the irrigation systems. Tomorrow I’ll start dividing tubers and get ready for our Thanksgiving feast. We sure have a lot to be thankful for and need to remember to count every blessing – there are many.